Momentum 2016. Oh what an impactful week that was on my life! This was my sixth year going to youth conference and my first year as a leader. The theme this year was Yours; finding your identity in Jesus Christ.
All week, an immense amount of discipleship happened with the teens as they were taught how to share their faith and show God’s love to people. On the last day of conference, over 2,000 teens and leaders went out into surrounding areas to do ministry and share Christ with the community.
To preface this story… Last year, we met TWO Teresa’s. You can check out that story here on my mom’s blog. http://cynnomore.blogspot.com/2015/12/a-divine-appointment-with-teresa-and.html?m=1
The morning of the outreach day, all the leaders met to pray about the people we were going to meet. We prayed for boldness for each person going out to serve. We prayed for receptive hearts to hear what we had to say. When we were finished, one of the other leaders in our group joked about having met two Teresa’s last year. “What are we going to get this year? THREE Bob’s?”
While it was simply a joke, I silently prayed that God would give us three Bob’s for real. And guess what? He totally did.
We walked through a neighborhood that day knocking on doors and praying with people. It was a neat experience. I hadn't forgotten my prayer that morning, but the day was slowly passing by as it grew hotter and hotter outside. We came across a small cul de sac that wasn't on our route. We decided to go up to those houses in addition to our path.
The first house we came up to was under construction. The man who greeted us said his name was Bob. I laughed inwardly, thinking God just gave us “Bob the Builder”!
At the very next house we went to, an elderly man came to the door. He appeared to have just gotten a tracheotomy. We prayed with him for a speedy recovery and healing from his surgery. When I asked him what his name was, he said it was Bob.
The moment he closed the door I turned around and smiled real big. Two Bob's!! One more to go! I told the rest of the group what I had prayed for earlier that morning.
We passed more houses and prayed with more people. Eventually we came up upon two men doing yard work. We got the chance to talk to them and guess what?! One of the gentleman’s name was Bob!
There you go! THREE Bob’s! God answered such a simple prayer I had prayed after just laughing at a joke about meeting three Bob’s. Isn't that cool?
It left me with these reminders:1) God cares intimately about you. He takes notice of those tiny details that even we overlook. When we speak, He listens.
- Matthew 10:29-31 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
- Psalm 139:1 O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
- Psalm 5:1-2 Give ear to my words, O Lord; consider my groaning. Give attention to the sound of my cry, my King and my God, for to you do I pray.
3) The power of specific prayers. Jabez called to God for specific needs, and God listened to his prayer request.
- 1 Chronicles 4:10 Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!” And God granted what he asked.
4) God rewards obedience. Sometimes those blessings come in different ways.
- Matthew 7:11 If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!